There is no better place to start then with what some describe as the most important meal of the day...Ms. Vasich described this strata as a family favorite that can be easily prepared the night before and then popped into the oven in the AM for a lovely family breakfast.
Basil & Lavender Breakfast Strata
- 1 pkg (8 oz) ground turkey sausage
- 6 eggs
- 7 slices of day old bread, cut into cubes
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) low fat cream cheese, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg (8 oz) sliced mushrooms
- 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen asparagus, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped OR 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp culinary lavender buds
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
Spoon the mixture into a well- buttered 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the strata, uncovered at 350F for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Refrigerate any leftovers. Makes approximately 6 to 8 servings.
My family and I loved this breakfast strata and will definitely be adding it to our list of repeat recipes! The lavender added a very interesting note and even our picky eater enjoyed it. I also served a fresh fruit salad and piping hot coffee...DELICIOUS!
(recipe from page 60 of 'The Lavender Gourmet- Culinary Recipes for Entertaining and Every Day' by Jennifer Vasich)