Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sunprint Lavender Gift Tags

This time of year, lots of people are pondering the best gifts for their friends and loved ones. But, have you considered the packaging? I am certain that a wonderful gift would be appreciated not matter what the wrapping looked like on the outside. But, why not take a little extra personal time to make the packaging and tags unique. Typically, you can use items you already have in your house or crafting area.

I found a Sunprint Kit last year and have enjoyed using it with younger kids as part of a nature lesson or a sun experiment. The Sunprint paper is coated with light-sensitive chemicals, which react to light waves and particles when exposed to sunlight. When objects are placed on the paper, they block the sunlight and turn white while the surrounding paper turns blue. Water stops the process and fixes the image on the paper.
 

I came across the remainder of the pack the other day and decided to use the paper to make a few Sunprint gift tags using lavender. Believe it or not, I still have a few remaining sprigs of blooming lavender. I cut a few of the nicest blooms and found a piece of used cardboard to place underneath the paper.
 
 
While still inside the house, I laid the piece of Sunprint paper on the cardboard and then placed the two lavender blooms/stems on the Sunprint paper.


Next, I took the whole thing outside, covered it with the clear plastic that came with the kit and placed it in the sunniest area I could find...


After five minutes, I could tell that the exposed area of the Sunprint paper was turning white. I took the whole thing back inside and after removing the lavender, I submerged the entire piece of paper in a bowl of cool water. 



I then placed the wet Sunprint paper on a towel to dry. After an hour, I was left with the following sun drenched result!


Next, I cut the paper in half and punched a hole in each side.


Finally, I added some delicate ribbon to each side and VOILA!! I had quickly created two very unique,  lavenderific gift tags...


Do you have an interesting or unusual packaging or gift tag result? Please share...we LOVE new ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment