Friday, March 21, 2014

Winter 2014 Ice Storm

It was two weeks ago today that we woke up to more clean-up work than we have had in years! A winter 2014 ice storm that left us without power for days, a totaled farm truck and LOADS of downed trees!

This winter has been different than most we have experienced on the farm. It was colder, snowier and icier than usual. And although the lavender seems to have pulled through just fine, there are other plants (such as our 7 year old rosemary in front of the house) that appears to have gone to that big compost bin in the sky. 

As I've mentioned before, our farm is a small family run operation. There are not loads of employees who show up everyday ready to drive the farm equipment around and do whatever necessary to raise, harvest and use our lavender to make our products. It's just me and one part time assistant. It's just one farm truck.

So, when we walked outside to assess the storm damage, I must admit that I was devastated. Our only farm truck was completely totaled.

There are whole trees and tree limbs down everywhere...


 I mean EVERYWHERE!


It's obviously just "life" and there are more people in the world that have things MUCH harder than having to clean up a bunch of dead trees or find a new work truck. But, it will occupy my time for a few more weeks...time that I would much rather spend on lavender projects. 

So, if you need me, I'll be outside with the chain saw. Anyone need any firewood?

No comments:

Post a Comment